WHEN: September 18, 2016, 09:30 – 18:00
WHERE: Václav Havel Library, Ostrovní 13, Prague 110 00
The aim of the conference is to critically reflect upon some of the main issues which currently surround debates about the performance of media in the Czech Republic and Central Europe in general, namely the changing models of media ownership, the independence of public service broadcasting, as well as the spreading of disinformation and propaganda via the social network sites.
The conference is jointly organized by the Václav Havel Library, Aspen Institute Prague and the Centre for the Study of Political Philosophy, Ethics and Religion, Charles University in Prague, with support from the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, University of Oxford and partnership with HlídacíPes.org and Marketing&Media.
The conference will be simultaneously translated into Czech. Share our Facebook event!
Conference Twitter hashtag is #wMedia16.
The REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
9:30 Registration at Václav Havel Library, Ostrovní 13
10:00 – 10:15 Welcome and Introduction
• Michael Žantovský, Václav Havel Library
• Pavel Bělobrádek, Deputy Prime Minister
10:15 – 12:15 Media ownership and journalistic autonomy
Keynote speaker: John Lloyd, Financial Times and Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism
• Matúš Kostolný, Editor-in-Chief, Daily N, Slovakia
• Tamás Bodoky, Editor-in-Chief, Atlatzso.hu, Hungary
• Petr Kamberský, Chief Columnist, Lidové noviny
• Roman Latuske, Chairman of the Board of Directors and CEO, Economia, a. s.
• Dalibor Balšínek, Editor-in-Chief, Echo 24
Moderator: Václav Štětka, Loughborough University
12:15 – 13:15 lunch break
13:15 – 15:15 The role and independence of public service media
Keynote speaker: Christian Nissen, Copenhagen Business School, fmr Director General of Danish Broadcasting Corporation (DR) and member of the EBU Administrative Council
• Jacek Żakowski, publicist, Poland
• Filip Rožánek, Editor-in-Chief, Marketing&Media
• Istvan Hegedus, chairman of Hungarian Europe Society
Moderator: David Levy, RISJ, University of Oxford
15:15 – 15:45 coffee break
15:45– 17:45 New media, propaganda and manipulation
Keynote: Brian Whitmore, senior Russia analyst and author of Vertical Blog, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
• Ivana Smolenová, Prague security studies institute
• Monika Richter, University of Oxford
• Kristina Potapova, Martens Centre
• Jindřich Šídlo, journalist, Seznam.cz
Moderator: Michael Žantovský, Václav Havel Library
17:45-18:00 Closing remarks: Jiří Schneider, Aspen Institute Prague
Share this on social media
The support of our corporate partners, individual members and donors is critical to sustaining our work. We encourage you to join us at our roundtable discussions, forums, symposia, and special event dinners.